Thursday, February 11, 2010

NATIONAL CONFESSION DAY


February 13 . . .

Today is National Confession Day. I confess . . I have no idea where it came from.

Nor do I care. But I'm saving that sentiment for National Apathy Day.

Observe the occasion with – what else? – Alfred Hitchcock’s ‘I Confess’ (1953). Montgomery Clift stars as a Catholic priest who faces the death penalty because he refuses to divulge incriminating information he heard in the confessional, and the circumstances point to him as the prime suspect.

Not one of the Master’s typical cinematic roller coaster rides, ‘I Confess’ is one of his more serious artistic ventures, more character study than white-knuckle thriller or mystery. Still, Hitch’s style is much in evidence, and the black and white, holy noir atmosphere is ripe with symbolism. Clift is great – there is still the ghost of his youthful beauty in evidence – and Karl Malden began a long career of playing cops in this movie.

Click here to see the trailer . . .
And send us your Valentine's Day choice for Most Romantic Movie! Time's running out . .

No comments: