Monday, January 18, 2010

TOM HANKS IN HAITI: A DREAM

Monday, January 18 . .
Last Night I Dreamt of Tom Hanks.

Say those words with the inflection of Meryl Streep’s delivery of “I had a farm in Africa” and you’ll have some indication of the tone of today’s entry.

I really did have a dream about Tom Hanks last night – why, I couldn’t begin to guess. But I do have a primal sort of recognition of its elements.

Here’s what I remember: In the dream, I was working – at an airport, I think – and Hanks, who for some reason was an acquaintance, asked about my mom. I told him she was OK, but that I was concerned that she was getting older, and in more pain from her hip and leg problems. (In real life, if there is such a thing, this is true. Also, Hanks is my mom’s favorite actor.)

Hanks listened sympathetically, then said, “Well, we better start driving.” The implication being that the two of us had better go cheer her up. So we drove through the evening until we reached my parents’ house. Hanks walked in and entered my parents’ bedroom, where they were watching TV. My dad – still alive in the dream – welcomed him with a booming “It really is you!”, and my mom blushed and was beside herself.

He then walked with her outside and gave her a pep talk/demonstration on how to exercise her legs and reduce her pain. She was inspired. So was I, and appreciative. When the time came to drive Hanks back to the airport, I wanted to write him a thank you note, but either the pens wouldn’t work or there wasn’t enough paper to get the job done. But he still seemed to know how much his gesture and time had meant to me and my mom.

Now then, what did this all mean? Like I said, I have no idea – but here’s my guess. Like everyone, I’ve been watching the news about the terrible events in Haiti, and wondering how things can get better, how to relieve the suffering. I don’t trust politicians. So who shows up in my dreams to relieve suffering but Tom Hanks? If any actor has the patina of everyday-Joe divinity about him, it’s Hanks. Think “The Green Mile”. Think “Forest Gump.” He’s as good a substitute for Jesus as any man I can think of. (Sorry, Pat Robertson.)

And in a deeper sense, I sometimes wonder about why – or even if – movies matter, and why they mean so much to me. Are they like dreams? Half escape/half therapy for our dark, unresolved questions? If so, maybe actors like Tom Hanks serve as our archetype angels, making things a little more manageable.

Yes, I know today’s blog deviates from the usual formula, but hey . . it’s a blog, right? – a digital diary, and that’s my entry for the day. But just so I stick to some sort of discipline, here’s my recommended movie of the day, based on my dream. I suggest ‘Joe vs. the Volcano’, not one of Hanks’ more notable efforts, but a movie not without overtones of divine intervention, unlikely blessings and random salvation. And these days, we’ll take what we can get.

Check out a memorable scene here . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1EOnVSSJYs

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Tom Hanks is the perfect companion for a long drive to visit a parent. I've never heard a negative story about the man. Thanks for sharing your dream.